Tuesday, May 03, 2005
Mrs. Brightside
Feeling a little better about the whole Florida abortion issue. I suppose that the last thing this poor girl needs is the Shaivo media whores with duct tape on their mouths and bombs in their hands.

Steady work has made me more calm. I get to relax in the knowledge that I don't need to go hunting very soon for work that I know I will hate (you know, coffee-slave).

Work is demanding though, I'm an aide in a middleschool class full of students with behavioural issues. They have been through 4 aides this year. We are doing the standardized testing this week to prove if the students have been doing anything all year and if the teachers lose their jobs. The principal walked in and said that it was a waste of time to test these children because they were all going to fail anyway. what happened to "no child left behind?"

Do you know the difference between "behavioural issues" and "special education"?
"Special education" means that the children have identified learning disabilities, and often have support from home.
"behavioural issues" means that the children cannot be kept in a regular class because they act out. They act out because they are not receiving any attention at home. Most of them come from broken homes, several parents have had their rights dissolved, some are alcoholics, and others just throw money at them instead of helping them with their homework.
Many of my students are in grade 8 and can't read. One I haven't met yet because she was suspended for smoking pot on campus.

My job isn't incredibly physically demanding, but I have never been so tired in my entire life.

This week is teacher appreciation week, and I while I appreciate all teachers, I admire and am in awe of all that teach those that are truly left behind.

Hug a teacher


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting