Wednesday, April 27, 2005
curveballs
Life throws you lots of curve balls.

Since I was about 8 all I've wanted to do was be a teacher.. Now I'm 22, I've tried twice to get into teacher's college but that ain't happening. I went away to universit when I was 17, and I want back in!


I've been reading "The Feminine Mystique" lately and its got me wondering. Are we entering the new era of the desperate housewife?

First the problem was that women had no rights, they couldn't vote, basically had to stay home.

Then the feminist movement came and fought for the right for women to vote, work, and get educated...

Then within 15 years after WWII, women started attending college simply for finding a husband (commonly known now as getting your MRS degree)

Women were no longer holding down jobs and their only goal was to be a wife and mother, have a perfect house and just generally look pretty.

Then "The Feminine Mystique" came out, naming this problem-with-no-name and we then saw a new pattern.

Now women are expected to want to go out and work, I remember a girl in unversity declaring that she hoped to be a good mother, only goal. She might as well have said she wanted to go eat small children. Everyone was shocked.

I feel like now women are not only expected to have a great career, but also manage to be walking minivan for 9 months and raise perfect children in a perfect house.

And then there is the tv hit "Desperate Housewives" which initially looked to me like "Stepford: the series" but I stand corrected and have become a closet fan. But none of these work. They are "Desperate Housewives" in the "Feminine Mystique" sense of the word, kinda bored, but freaked out about having everything be perfect.

So what state are we in? The new version of the "FM" with a satisfying and sucessful career in the mix?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting