Monday, February 27, 2006
Baptizmal
A little known fact about the knitster…

I was baptized twice, once when I was born and again when I was 7 or 8. I tell people that the first time it didn’t take but truth be told my parents moved and the Catholic Church was closer. I was originally baptized Anglican, but with my mother being Catholic, the church felt like I was already “theirs”.

When I was a kid and I found out what was going on, I thought I was double protected, that I could ‘sin’ all I wanted and get away with it, since I had sweet sweet watery insurance. Later my thoughts shifted and I started to worry about what would happen when I died. Would there be two heavens? Two Saint Peters? Would they have a fight to the death ‘celebrity death match’ style for my soul? What about my family? Half would be in the one heaven and the other half would be in the other, could I get day passes to visit everyone?
Would one heaven be more fun? Would one offer “my little pony’s” and the other “cabbage patch doll’s”? I had no pets, so they were no worry but if I had them they would have brought a whole other level to my quandary.

I never brought my issues to the attention of my family or religious official in my life, they all looked at me funny every time I opened my mouth as it was.

These are things that kept me up at night.

On another note, I’ve been enjoying the debate that is going on about drug testing your children, and I think that some great arguments have come up. I agree that if you are at the point where you want to test your child and then chances are you all need therapy, I’ve known families that completely ignored blatant drug addictions, be it pot, cigarettes or even cocaine. Those families aren’t about to test their kids because they don’t want to know about that kind of problems. If I think that my kids are doing drugs and I feel that they are seriously affecting their life then I would definitely confront them and try to get them help. If I was still concerned then I would consider it, someone would probably have to do it and I would rather it be in the privacy of my home and not have to face a doctor to find out. I just hope I never have to make that choice.


8 Comments:

Blogger Ubermilf said...

That's really weird, because the whole thing about believing in "one baptism" is supposed to mean any old Christian baptism is the same as another.

Dilf, for instance, sidestepped from Lutheran to Catholic. Our priest would've been willing to accept his Lutheran first communion and confirmation as well... which we found out AFTER Dilf had taken the classes. Sigh.

You guys must've had either a mean priest or a mom who didn't trust Anglicans.

Blogger Jaded said...

I was baptized in the Lutheran church, but became a Sunday school drop-out at 5. Refused to go back. When I was 14, my dad said that he felt religion was important, but that he wasn't going to shove his own beliefs down my throat because religion is personal. So, he took me to every church and synagogue in the area, and I settled for a Methodist church. They felt my Lutheran baptism counted, so I only had to go through communion classes. It's a bit different than the first holy communion in the Catholic church though. So, I did that, and it all worked out I guess. Although...the extremist evangelicals think that infant baptism is a sin because it's an extention of a pagan ritual, so unless you choose to be baptized again as an adult, it doesn't count. So where does that leave us?

Blogger Johnny Pipewrench said...

Kitty,

If you had to be a virus,
which one would you be?

Blogger Maddie said...

I was baptised Mormon when I was eight years old in spite my objections.

I remember thinking it's too bad the baptismal age wasn't older so I could have some more sin under my belt. I expected to feel clean and pure but was disappointed to feel soggy and uncomfortable in my double knit baptismal jumper.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

Where's Miss Knit? I miss her so.

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

I miss you guys too...
I wrote a reply to everyone, but its gotten lost in the blogisphere.

I figure if I end up in limbo I will get to take care of all the babies. I don't really sweat it much anymore.

Blogger Willie Baronet said...

Nothing is more fascinating than pondering the afterlife. Except maybe pondering death. I was also baptized Catholic, and religious beliefs were forced down my throat. But long ago I had questions that Catholicism couldn't answer, so I've been on a different path since. Now, I believe we all have those same questions, and different religions are just the ways we wrestle with them. My hope for the world is that one day we'll all get that and quit killing each other in order to force belief systems on others. If there is some sort of afterlife, it won't have a sign: __________'s Only :-)

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

I love Knitty.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting