Monday, February 20, 2006
Do you think children are stupider then their parents 50 years ago?
No, but I think that television reporters are stupid.

A report on "A Current Affair" decided that students are stupider then their parents when they were in primary and secondary school, both private and public.
How do you think they determined this?
By gaining access to a wide variety of student records over a period of time, from various backgrounds and education systems?

Nope, they shoved 20 students (apparently at random) in a room and gave them the standardized tests their parents have to endure in their education.

Did that ask current educators about why these children are doing "so poorly"?

Not a chance, they interviewed previous educator who now work in the private tutoring system and allowed them to advertise for their services as part of the shock value.
"Your children are failing in the basic skills, but these fine people have the answers"

The answer they got? "'Mickey Mouse' subjects are taking over our children's learning time which eats away at the time previously spent on 'the basics"

Perhaps that "media" class is offensive to the writers of "A Current Affair" because it teaches students how to recognize the blatant twisting of facts and selective information their shady program preaches.

Television shows like "A Current Affair" could not risk interviewing current teachers because they might tell frightening truth that both television executives and parents do not want to hear. Using a television as a babysitter and a lack of parental interest in a students education have a lot to do with the differences in student abilities.


The skills that adults need in the workforce have changed and public interest in what our students learn has shifted the curriculum, a group of lazy teachers had nothing to do with it.

Everyone has dealt with teachers in their lives and assume that makes them experts in what it takes to be a teacher, what it takes to adapt a lesson for a variety of learning styles and how overcrowded classrooms have hindered individual student success.

I'm one semester into my teaching education and I'm already disillusioned.

We all know I don't believe in half the generalizations I have presented, especially about parents. Sensationalist televisions shows just angry up my blood.


6 Comments:

Blogger Loz said...

i avoid A Current Affair and Today Tonight like the plague - for this very reason. it's all sensationalist bullshit disguised as journalism. i figure it's all a way to scare people into thinking there's something wrong with them, and to blame that thing on someone else.

if you can get your hands on some DVDs of "Frontline", it's a very funny show, a satire about the making of a current affairs program just like the real ones on telly.

Blogger Megan said...

Oh, LMK, i'm with you. Did they happen to mention anything about "No Child Left Behind" and the grueling testing system that they ARE submitted to and that many schools (at least in my area) have cut PE in order to squeeze in more math? And I'm sorry, but I don't think that I had 2 hours of homework when I was in the 3rd grade. Ooh, Kitty, you got my fur ruffled! :) Good to see you're still eloquently indignant, even Down Under.

Blogger Jaded said...

Here's a sweeping generalization for ya (talk about disillusioned)...

Kids today possess a sense of entitlement because most don't understand what it means to have to work for something. They often expect to waltz out of high school and earn 80 grand a year as a starting salary. Doing what, I have no clue. But I think this feeling of entitlement causes them to achieve less academically.

Just my opinion based on my observations when I was a teacher.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

I know I'm dumber than I was 50 years ago.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

Nick says you hate me and blocked me from your IM chat list.

I say he's a big mean liar with pants on fire.

Who's right?

Blogger Sysm said...

Personally,

I'm much dumber than my parents.

But I've both done way more drugs then they have, and I'm far lazier.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting