Tuesday, September 05, 2006
A Country in Mourning

As my plane was landing in Australia 7 months ago, Steve Irwin came on the screen to welcome me to the country and to remind me about quarantine.

Australia is now mourning his death, the day after Father's day.

I got to watch a memorial to him on television with three Aussies from the Sunshine Coast (his hometown) and I got to better understand just how important a person he was for them.
From the footage of him being interviewed, talking about his kids and how much he worshiped his wife and family, it is honestly really sad. There has been an offer by the Premier for a state funeral, and it seems like Australia really loved and appreciated him for what he did to help raise awareness for Australian wildlife and tourism.

So for all my North American friends let me just let you know that Steve Irwin was more then the guy you bring on late night talk shows with the animals so that he can entertain you by saying "crikey", to Australians he was a true mate.

Update: Thanks to Todd for this story


8 Comments:

Blogger FRITZ said...

I am saddened by his death. But honestly, for him, it would've been the best way to go. In nature. At the whim of an innocent creature.

God has a funny sense of irony, yeah?

Crikey. I'll miss him greatly.

Blogger msmachine said...

I was genuinely saddened to hear of his passing. I started to watch his show eleven years ago when I was pregnant; he kept me company. His enthusiasm never waned.

Blogger Loz said...

You summed it up so nicely - I realise that maybe 2 people outside of Australia care about it, but they obviously didn't see him for the man he was, just as the gimmick. Frankly, that kind of attitude upsets me.

Thanks :)

Blogger yournamehere said...

He saved a guy's life. Google it.

Blogger Tits McGee said...

I never thought much one way or the other about Steve Irwin until that footage came out a year or so ago of him feeding a dead chicken to a crocodile with one hand while holding his infant son in the other. I have to admit that it disturbed the hell out of me. All the same, I feel for his wife and children, and respect the warm feelings so many people have about him.

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

Fritz, msn, todd: thanks, everyone here is really depressed, it's bigger then I could have imagined.

Loz: Don't let the opnions of some get you down, most of the people I spoke to back home loved and respected him.

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

ha, opinions i mean

Blogger Megan said...

this is one american who was affected deeply by his passing. soldier boy and i have been incredibly saddened by his tragic and untimely death. he was an inspiration, with his energy, visible love of life and his dedication to wildlife. he's one person you can point to and say "that guy lives his life fully." i have to say i'm still shocked by it all and the world seems like a less friendly place with his passing.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting