Sunday, May 29, 2005
Grab a Coffee, This Could Take a While..
Since my frightening introduction to a certain blog community, I have been pondering on a lot of things that I have yet to figure out... I encourage those that read to explain and question, in order to help me better understand this quandary...


We live in a world where in Thailand unwanted girls are forced quickly into the pedophilia tourism industry, where in Turkey a 13 year old girl is forced to marry her rapist to protect her honor and in America where a 13 year old girl is let down by a system instituted to protect her until they see fit (please see previous posts for more information). What I don't understand is how in a age where such treacherous human rights violations are occurring there seems to be this uproar of people so incredibly consumed with the relationships and sex lives of others.

So when I hear about people, living in America, the land of the free and the home of the brave, getting all up in arms about gay marriage or homosexuality in general, I get a little miffed. I honestly just don't understand what their problem is no matter how many people I talk to....

Here are a few arguments I have heard, that I just don't get...

Marriage should be about procreation, and gay people can't have babies!

- huh? So should all those straight couples that got married and didn't do their duty by having kids revoked of their marriage? Last I checked, gay people were still HUMAN, why can't they have babies?

Gay Marriage diminishes my Marriage...

Now this is the one that reallllly throws me.. So because two men or two women are married, all of the sudden you love your spouse less? Your union is less respected because other people get to do it?

Homosexuality is a sin...
So are a ton of things (if you believe in sin), and what happened to "Those without sin cast the first stone".. Who are you to judge people that YOU decided were sinners? What about gluttony? Its killing a hell of a lot more people then 2 people loving each other.. That and certain religious groups are again confusing themselves with God.. They don't get to decide who is a sinner and who is and isn't going to "heaven"..



The only thing I can make out is in this current "terrorist alert" climate where everyone is afraid to leave their city and/or country there is this desperate need to control everything around us.. If gay marriage is allowed, then its just too much change for certain groups to handle....

What bothers me the most is that these people have all this hate, anger and energy geared towards a group that doesn't deserve it! Now I can concede that the average american might feel there is little they can do to protect young girls in Thailand or Turkey or any number of African nations.. That's fair.. So what about real injustice in America? How about Mexican girls being used as slaves in Texas? How about illegal immigrants being locked in a basement and used as indentured sex slaves to pay off their "debt" for being smuggled in the country in New Jersey??

Why can these people use this energy to fight for people that are actually being hurt instead of against people that aren't hurting anyone...

Anyone know any other reasons why this is such an issue? Cause I am truly at a loss...

- L


3 Comments:

Blogger lightfeather said...

Oh, I could go for a good cup of joe right now! I am not sure why people do this. It creates so much negativity which in turn crates more negativity. Maybe for the same reason that people call in complaints about service they received, bad food, overcharges, etc. but rarely write a company to praise them when they catch people caring. I like to do that. I like to catch people caring!

Blogger author said...

Hey there Laura, just read your comment and came to read... yes
you said it much better than I could have.
Mine actually began as a coming out post and ventured into the whole christian issue...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I have to say to this is: AMEN! Peace.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting