Monday, August 08, 2005
Like a Virgin...
One of the most coveted thing a woman "owns" is her virginity. When we decide to take the plunge and have sex for the first time we call it "losing" our virginity. As if it is not something that we own that we can give to someone, but instead something we lose, as if we could find it if we looked hard enough.

When a woman is known for having sex with many partners, we call her "loose" or that she is "giving it away". Is sex something we can have too much of? Are we supposed to make our partners work for it? How many partners is "too many"?
Will our girl parts fall off if we use them in "excess"?
You would think so from the way the media and vocabulary treats them.
When a boy loses his virginity, he is "Getting rid of it" like a plague that must be dealt with in order to become a man.

The vocabulary around sex is frightening and intended to make women ashamed from the very beginning of their sexual life. But as Shirley Manson of "Garbage" states in her latest album..


sex is not the enemy.

No evolution
Sometimes it depresses me
The same old same
Oh we keep repeating history
The institution curses curiosity
It's our conviction
Sex is not the enemy
A revolution is the solution
A revolution is the solution
I won't feel guilty
No matter what they're telling me
I won't feel dirty and buy into their misery
I won't be shamed because I believe that love is free
It fuels the heart and sex is not my enemy
A revolution is the solution
A revolution is the solution
True love is like gold
There's not enough to go around
But then there's god and doesn't god love everyone?
Give me a choice
Give me a chance to turn the key and find my voice
Sex is not the enemy
A revolution is the solution
A revolution is the solution
Sex is not the enemy
A revolution... ooh


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting