Sunday, May 07, 2006
Fight! Fight! Fight!

There is something I became acquainted with shortly after I started blogging.
The phenomena of "The Blog Fight"
I knew someone who compared getting into a blog fight with competing in the special Olympics, but I won't dignify it by finishing the 'joke' I'm sure you can all think of the punchline.

What gets to me is how blog fights start. It usually follows one of three patterns:


Pattern #1

Step One: A blogger posts an opinion that they the believe to be simple and straightforward, without any thought that someone might disagree. They, believing this not to be a hot topic, do not post any facts or figures because hey, they are just going on a rant.

Step Two: They receive affirmation from their normal readers that they are right and that they are right. Everything is peachy.

Step Three: Now this is where the phenomena comes about, I'm not quite sure how this happens but it does and like locus all of the sudden the blog gets swarmed. People that never read that persons blog before and/or have never blogged before, start commenting. They post inflammatory things because they believe they cannot be traced, and often insult the character of the poster.
Sometimes the anonymous posters ask for facts and figures, somehow forgetting that this person is stating an opinion and not writing an article to be published by the APA.

Step Four: Long time readers of the blogger engage in a debate over an issue until the blogger posts again.


Pattern #2

Step One: See pattern 1

Step Two: This blogger has actually reached a sore spot for members of their readership and debate ensues, possibly with feelings getting hurt and readership/friends being lost.

A blog fight like this can get ugly and when that happens it can suck. People can get hurt, friends lost and happy little places destroyed

Pattern #3

Step One: The blogger posts something funny and those that read often know that while some might find it offensive, they don't read often enough to see that this blogger is in fact just playing around. Everyone laughs and comments, all being in on the joke.

Step Two: Someone searching on Google comes across this funny post, takes it in a serious light and gets offended. They then round up their pose of haters and come down full force for a bitch fest, blogger style.

Step Three: Regular readers wait until there is blood in the water then pounce on the non-blogging wackjobs that have invaded, belittling them with their fantastic wit. Hilarity ensues, non-bloggers insult bloggers for being bloggers, hopefully everyone moves on.

I for one, love a good blog debate. I have friends that agree with most if not all of my opinions and getting the chance to engage in a debate with someone that disagrees with me can be great.

Watching bloggers and non-bloggers fight is like some sort of sharks vs. jets reenactment. Everyone dances around and no one really gets hurt because they all remember, its just blogging.

So what do you guys think? so long as there are blogs, will there be blog fights? Did I forget any classic reasons for blog fights starting?



11 Comments:

Blogger Ubermilf said...

David Soul is a wonderful man. He is caring and giving. He is also handsome and enormously talented.

That's all I have to say.

What was the question?

Blogger Jaded said...

My blog was nothing but a big fight fest when the evangelicals were threatening me and calling me a heretic. Now, I just deal with the people who do that passive-aggressive bullshit and post something to "show me" after I've written something they don't agree with.

The thing that I actually take a little issue with in this post is the idea that everyone thinks it's just blogging and therefore they don't get their feelings hurt. There are some on here who let their lives completely revolve around their blogs, and they look to it as a source of validation for themselves. I have met those who really get depressed if they don't get alot of comments, or who need comments to all be completely in support of their opinions. They see it as "being loved." Seriously.

Now, while I have made some real friends through my blog...several of whom I've met in person and several more I'd love to meet... for the most part, I just take the comments with a grain of salt. I say what I want to say because it's on my mind for whatever reason. If people don't agree with me, fine, they don't have to. But when they find it necessary to say something nasty about it, then get their feelings hurt when I reply with sarcasm, that actually amuses me. Sheesh.

Hope all is well.

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

Ubie- u were in mind.

Jaded- I moved sections of this post all around as I wrote it, so I should clarify.

"A blog fight like this can get ugly and when that happens it can suck. People can get hurt, friends lost and happy little places destroyed"
- this bit was meant to cover those that actually get hurt by blog fights.

There are people who total their popularity by their comment count and those that can get really hurt by a blog fight. like I said, when that happens, it sucks

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

GAH I actually spelled "you" as "u"!! I blame all the text messaging..

I feel dirty...

Blogger Tits McGee said...

I prefer to blog fight naked in the mud. Or in Jell-o!

PS: I love West Side Story.

Blogger Loz said...

i'm all for getting hurt and offended by a blog fight.
this was pretty observant!

Blogger Unknown said...

I just want to say that I disagree strongly with everything in your post and that most right thinking people agree with me and I think there should be a law against people expressing this sort of opinion with a license.

Let the battle begin...

Blogger Megan said...

the following comment has been editted to spare the children who read these comments from the tremendous amount of profanity which would otherwise be found there:

JJ, who the f*** do you think you are, you must be some knuckledragging motherf*ing moron to come over here and stir up so much sh** with my bi***, Little Miss Knit. She is the sh** and if you have anything to say keep it to your f***ng self you mouthbreathing lower life form! Bring it, b***!

*End edit.*

This rant would only be in full form if it were anon, but since I wanted credit for it, I couldn't do the anon thing. So, just pretend. K?

Blogger Megan said...

oh yeah, and spelling errors should have been added... oh sweet mother of rushed posting why didn't i pause to think before hitting publish!?

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

haha, sis! I'm pretty sure JJ was being funny.... pretty sure...

Blogger Fella said...

Posse has two s's in it. Dumbass.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting