Thursday, September 15, 2005
I got Spanked!!
I worked with kids with Downs today and general low IQ children as well. One was very excited that he had completed a perfect paper, and expecting a high five raised his hand and pushed it towards me. I, not knowing that a high five was in progress got up from my chair and turned around. Resulting in quite the spank. It was hilarious.

Last year when I got to work with these same kids (I may have told this story before so bear with me!) I was walking with some girls from P.E and we had a conversation:

Me: So what are you doing this weekend?
Girl: Oh I'm going to visit my Aunt and cousins. What are you doing?
Me: I'm flying to Canada to see my boyfriend!
Girl: Really? On a plane? All by yourself?
Me: Yes, I'm allowed to do that by myself.
Girl: When you get there are you going to kiss him?
Me: Yes, probably.
Girl: But you aren't going to have sex are you?
Me: (Awkward as HELL) Of course not, that's something you save for marriage.
Girl:Yea, or someone you have known for a really long time. How long have you been dating your boyfriend?
Me: Close to 3 years.
Girl: And you AREN'T going to have sex with him?!?!
Me: (Stunned Silence)

Working with these kids can be the most rewarding thing on the planet. They are so receptive and eager to learn, unlike most apathetic teenagers...


_____________________________________________________________

ALSO: Let me be the first to introduce you to Miss HT Psych , my friend in real life and sister at heart, she is my twin, we have the same name, same build, same hair color.. It's freaky! She has just started her Masters and blogs about her thesis topic, so go on down there and welcome her! NOW!


8 Comments:

Blogger SS said...

1th!

that's hilarious, you got spanked!

and that story is too cute.

i am meeting the most amazing women finally after blogging here for almost a year. all my women blog friends are incredible, but you, brooke, and kira and really special women in what you do for others. all of you are inspiration for me to do what i have always wanted to do, and get out there and help kids.

my wv is sobjr - son ova bitch, jr.

Blogger GingerSnaps said...

your not having sex with your boyfriend?? holy crap woman. your gonna give him blue balls.

ok, enough of that. i know how hard it is (and also a special delight) to work with special children. bless their little inquisitive hearts. they never hold back. (we shouldnt either..)

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

I told at 16 year old girl with Downs that I wasn't having sex. doesn't mean I'm not!

Blogger Jaded said...

It is both rewarding and draining. I only taught for 5 years ,then I'd had enough. Of course, I quit the year I got stabbed, which had alot to do with it, lol. I taught in an out of district placement for emotionally disturbed/behaviorally disordered kids. Very hard.

It wasn't the fact that the kid stabbed my with scissors because he wanted to go in the room next door and stab another kid's eyes out for looking at his girlfriend. It was the fact that after this happened, they didn't suspend him, nor did they move him out of my classroom. They threatened me not to call the police, even though it's the law to do so if a teacher is assaulted. It was all about the tuition money from the district. they didn't wanna lose it. I went to the police on my own, anyway. Wasn't bad enough to suspend him from school, but it was bad enough for the judge to lock him up for 2 years...and to admonish the school for failing to follow the law. They got reported to the state, but I'd quite by then, so I don't know what happened. Sheesh.

I'll stop by your friend's page later. Glad my master's degree days are over. My advisor didn't even want a traditional thesis paper though, thank God. I had a huge integrated lesson plan to put together...learning across the curriculum sort of thing. She thought that reasearching and writing wasn't the same thing as actually doing...so I had to put the whole thing together, present it to a special ed faculty, and over-see it's implementation in the school. It was cool. (master's in special ed.)

Blogger Jaded said...

PS...please pretend that there are no typos in the above post. Thanks a mil!

Blogger Fella said...

Aren't they all?

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

Jaded, I worked in a room full of ED kids for 8 weeks last year, we had no sissors for that exact reason. There was a few time that I was truly afraid I would be physically injured. I know what you mean about getting burned out, there were days where I would come home from work and be in bed by 8.. it blew my mind how much it took out of me.

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

That is classic! This morning one of my kids told me that he saw his father naked in the shower...and he told me this in front of his father. I thought the man was going to die. I'm guessing he won't be showing up at the parent-teacher conference!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting