Wednesday, September 14, 2005
It's no wonder I want to be a teacher...
That was fun, but I can't wait around for 50... Too much on my mind..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got work today helping to give standardized testing to children with learning disabilities.. The one thing I have learned about the school system is that often times kids who come from broken homes end up in the special education, because they are behind in their classes from missing excessive school and they need someone that can help them put their life back together.

I met one girl today that reminded me why I hope to get better sex ed to young girls. She has just turned 17, she was molested for 4 years of her youth and told her teachers, no one did anything. She has had 2 abortions, recovered from marijuana and cocaine addictions, has 2 large tattoos and a 22 year old boyfriend. When she was addicted to drugs she had to hide it from her mother because otherwise her mother would take them...for her own personal use.

After her last fist fight at school she was kicked out of her grandmother's house and she ended up at her father's. Her father kicked her out (she came home one day and her things were in garbage bags). She is now living with her mother and has been forced to pay rent.

Her teacher has realised that this girl has a very hard time listen to women or trust them. All the women in her life have betrayed her and thrown her to the wolves. None of women she told about her abuse protected her. Her grandmother gave up on her.

I'm angry that up until high school this girl has never had a positive female role model.

I'm even angrier that there were teachers there that noticed she when she was a child with fetal alcohol syndrome and didn't get her the proper help, or called social services when she finally got the courage together to talk about her abuse.

Hearing about girls and boys like the ones I met today made me want to be a teacher more.

And maybe go out and kick that poor girls mother's ass.


1 Comments:

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

She needs a lot of thing, like a stable home.. She has been clean for a year, but the environment that she is in is not condusive to staying that way..

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting