Friday, November 04, 2005
A roundup
So much to say and I want to get it all out, so I'm doing a round up..


1) Proposition 73

I know I polarized the blog a little the last time with this post but ya know what? My blog, my rules. I'm sure that there are many other things that those of you that disagree with me can agree with me on.

I recently read this interesting fact about the proposition that isn't mentioned in the ads.






But that is not always the case. And Proposition 73 is not just about parental notification. If this proposition were honestly about parental notification alone -- not about punishing doctors or judges or making frightened children jump through hoops -- we might be able to make an argument for it. But the devil, in this proposition, is in the details, which is why The Star recommends a no vote.

Proposition 73 inserts language into the state Constitution defining abortion as causing the "death of the unborn child, a child conceived but not yet born." According to the USC California Policy Institute, that can have unforeseen consequences as it did in Pennsylvania, where the "unborn child" language in its Abortion Control Act, prevented embryonic stem cell research on Pennsylvania embryos. Such research is only allowed on out-of-state embryos.



This was taken from the local newspapers editorial. The local conservative publication, so you can imagine my surprise. You can read the whole article here

There is no other reason for that language to be put into the constitution unless it is in the hopes that it will assist in future pro-life endeavours.

2) Harajuku Girls

I was certain I had bitched about this concept here on blogger but a quick search says otherwise. The Harajuku girls are Gwen Stefani's pets. She named them (very coincidental that the girls names make up the name of her purse line, and her album, very coincidental I'm sure), and they consider themselves to be living in "Gwen's fantasy world". An article from Bitch magazine discussed Stefani's consistent use of random pieces of different cultures and how her use of the Harajuku culture is another one of those misinformed uses.

Margaret Cho wrote a great blog post about it, and it's not only funny but interesting as well as her blog always is.

I looked at the links she provides and they are downright scary. I guess that the bottom line is that these girls are getting paid, and probably paid very well to be dragged around like Paris Hilton's designer dog (but probably in less expensive outfits), and they came into their contracts with a complete understanding of what was expected of them. They knew when they signed up that they weren't to speak English while making public appearances with Gwen, and that they would be put in somewhat demeaning outfits.

Watching the videos of the girls on the harajuku website just left a bad taste in my mouth.


3) Time to sent Bush a gift...

I think its time for Bush to upgrade. He lost his Scooter, and that was sad. I hate the image of a little boy having his scooter stolen after his scooter revealed state secrets.

Wouldn't a segway be much better than a scooter? He could get around faster, and we wouldn't have to watch him biking and jogging on TV anymore! And hey, if the batteries die, he might flip over the handle bars and die.

Okay.. maybe he can't operate a segway, but watching him try would be fantastic.


So sorry about the roundup and all the links.
I just needed to get all that off my chest.


4 Comments:

Blogger Fella said...

I'll be expecting my residual check in the mail.

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...
Blogger Maddie said...

I fear a lot of freaky right-wing religious folk will fall right into the Proposition 73 trap.

As for the Harajuku Girls...I've liked Gwen Stefani since before anyone knew who she was and I think the way she's carting them around like accessories is proof she is finally losing it.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting