Friday, December 09, 2005
FFFF
So it's time for another roundup and a "Let Your Freak Flag Fly Friday" post... feel free to throw you freak flag down on in my comments or transport it back to your blog...


1) Little ones.

I taught kindergarten this week. It was an experience let me tell you. The children had their adorable moments, but I can only take so many story time interruptions for anecdotes about barbie dolls.
We were doing a unit on Hanukkah, so we read stories and made construction paper menorahs.
We had a parent helper today, a very nice Muslim mother and she helped with the art menorah project and helped teach the students the "bring the pig home from market" poem. I didn't expect her to freak out and say these were unacceptable and she was very helpful. We sat together while the kiddies had PE and we talked about how she thinks its great that her kids get this multicultural experience in school and learn about what else is out there. she also talked about how the kids in their pure and loving hearts had never noticed that she was Muslim or judged her for it. Their parents would see their children hug her on their way out and gawk, never speaking to her, until a few months into school when the children would introduce her.

That's what we need to bridge the cultural gap, children with hugs.

2) In September I blogged about this freak woman and she is unfortunately back in the news. She claims she has proof that her daughter didn't die from AIDS related pneumonia. Another article about her that was aired last night on ABC can be found here . She hired a toxicologist (who isn't actually a doctor or licensed) to review the report, not her body, and he claims she died from anti-biotic poisoning, even though he never read her tox-screen.

3) My mother received a call from some evangelical group that wanted to "clean up TV" and she got pissed off. She let them know that television is service that you can choose not to pay for. Well apparently my mother didn't dissuade them and they continued their fight. They decided that "unbundling" the channels and giving everyone a choice of which channels they could pick would be the answer. Fantastic they thought, because then the networks would lose money and be forced to clean up their programming.
Now I don't know about you, but I watch about 17 channels and I get 73 into my television (not including the movie networks and extended cable on my parents television and the living room television). I don't watch the purple haired lady on the evangelical network and I don't watch the 20 Spanish language channels.

Apparently a lot of people are like me, and said that they would be more then happy to watch the channels get "unbundled" because the first thing they would do is cancel the evangelical ones. Of course the religious groups freaked out, because the point of their networks is to convert those that wouldn't go to church and without that channel being forced upon them, the chances of them staying on it for more than 2 seconds one drunken night is greatly reduced.

So now the evangelicals and the smut peddlers like "FX" are coming together in an attempt to maintain our equal right to be disgusted by purple-haired-tarantula-eye-lashes-woman and by a surgery on "Nip/Tuck" in the same 5 minute span.


Lets round it off with my FFFF shall we?

I can't handle open draws or cupboards. If I walk into a room and any are open I automatically close them, doesn't matter whose house. TFG's old apartment had awful drawers in the kitchen that couldn't stay closed. Drove me insane. Not to mention his love of driving me nuts by leaving them slightly ajar.


9 Comments:

Blogger Natalia said...

Wow! How did I miss that whole think about people claiming that HIV doesn't cause AIDS? Then again there are so many news to keep up with that it makes sense some issues will fall through the cracks.
I'd think there would be some legal recourse to say that the woman endangered the life of her children by opting to disbelieve science. Scary stuff.
I liked your blog.

-N

Blogger FRITZ said...

You know, I've heard stories about these people who 'aren't convinced' about HIV causing AIDS. I think they are
A. Probably too ashamed of whatever got them positive to just realize what is going on and deal with it.
B. The same ones who deny the Holocaust? and
C. Aren't convinced of the law of gravity, either.
*I didn't mean that people SHOULD feel ashamed about HIV. But there is still a big stigma about it.

Also, I like this Freaky Friday thingy:

My Freak? If I am watching a good movie, and cannot smoke for whatever reason during the movie, I pluck my chin hairs, lip hairs and eyebrows. Without a mirror.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

They had an ER episode about that lady, too.

My freakiness: whenever I have PMS, I re-experience post-partum to a lesser degree.

I'm supposed to up my Zoloft by 1/2 during the week before my period, which normally fixes the problem right up, but not this month for some reason. So, right now, I have strong urges to hid either under my bed or under my dining room table. With a bucket on my head.

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

i'm sorry about your bucket needs Ubie, I too saw the er episode, and they did a very good job of trying to get an actress that looked like her! freaky

natalia, thanks for stoppin by, glad you liked it!

fritz I cannot pluck without a mirror, willy nilly eyebrows just aren't a possibility for me! I think this woman just surrounded herself with people that told her she "wasn't sick" and she would rather listen to them then the facts, even if it costs her a child.

Blogger Flan said...

My freakness: I will actually yell at people in other cars who don't use their turn signals, even if it doesn't affect the lane I'm driving in at all. Or if they don't have their lights on while driving in the rain. Yeah, there's nothing wrong with me at all.

Happy relocation to Australia(!! How cool is that, you lucky Knitter), Happy Birthday, and Happy Exams to ya.

-Flan

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

So far you and I are two for two. I can't walk by an open door or drawer without closing it, even if it's in someone else's home. I also can't sleep with the closet door open.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

My husband leaves doors ajar.

He also leaves jars and things out of the refrigerator.

And packaging on the counter.

But these are seriously his biggest faults, so all in all I can't complain. Except I just did.

Oops.

Blogger FRITZ said...

Uber...I had not heard about that Zoloft uppance before the period...now, of course, I won't SUE you if it doesn't work for me...but I too have the WORST PMS ever even though I'm on the Z.

I think I might give this idea a whack. We'll ask Michael how it works.

God, that man must love me.

Knitty: I read your Q and Eh, and was thoroughly impressed. That's why the recent frequenting over here. Well, plus, I really like your stuff. So keep up the good work!

Blogger Jaded said...

My freak flag...

I can't stand to hear someone say something like "We're going up to visit" someone, when they're really going down. "We're going up to Florida to see my grandparents." Or "My my friends are coming down from Virginia." It drives me NUTS!! I live in NJ. We go down to Florida, and people from Virginia come up to visit us. I HATE when people get that shit wrong!

The HIV lady needs a throrazine big gulp and a huge boot to the head. Maybe that would knock some sense into her. I've been really pissed off and depressed for a week because I found out that a guy I know, who is HIV positive, has been trolling the internet for men on a regular basis. He's been having unprotected sex with at least 3-5 different men every week, sometimes more, and he doesn't tell them he's got HIV. I've made an anonymous phone call to the health department, but they really don't care because I don't have the names of the men he's slept with. UGH!!!!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting