Monday, July 25, 2005
The Times, They Are A Changing
So I've been thinking a lot about how relationships grow and change.

The past 6 weeks with my boyfriend have made me realize how well we work together, and how much I want to live with him and get married and have lots of sex and babies.
At the same time I'm really happy with now, I don't like change, I like just being us, without all the pretention of an wedding or family or all of that.
Pressures come to us in due time, I don't feel like adding any to myself.

The more I talk about my feminist leanings and my leftist leanings, the more I feel detatched from the US. I've lived there off and on for the past 8 years, more on than off unfortunately, and the way things are going down there I'm getting more appreciative of my Canadian passport. I mean how are christian fundamentalists and extremists any different from their Muslim counterparts, they seem like the differents clothes from the same cloth to me.
They both want to oppress the rights of women, and feel all other religions are a black mark on the human race.

I feel like Ferris Beuller lately, I'm against all oppressive "isms".

No one should be extremist about anything in my book, that just leads to bad things. I mean look at "extreme sports"? How many collective brain cells do you think all these guys have? 5?

All kidding aside. Everything in my life seems to be transitioning, I will be making a major move that is coming up faster then I would like, involving life, love and career choices. My family is transitioning as my mother deals with her mother's quickly erroding health. My baby brother is growing up fast (you can see his picture on my blogger bar). My other brother is quickly turning into an intelligent and sophisitcated man. My friends have all graduated university and are starting careers or grad work. My best friend just got an apartment with her boyfriend and is talking about getting a dog (gulp!).

My father asked my mother today "so is she (meaning me) still moving to Australia?" my mother said "yes of course".
Truth be told? I haven't commited completely. I WANT to go, but I have two computer science courses rearing their ugly heads at me and some nights I lay awake thinking about how they may crush this plan. I can't let that happen, but the procrastinator in me is still in gear.
I need to get my ass kicked. Maybe putting down the 7 grand deposit will do it.

Reading the lyrics and listening to the song made me long for an old record player and a glass of wine... and maybe a joint.

Are we as a society reverting to the era that inspired Dylan to pen this song? Have we returned to an era of flag burning and protests.
The parallels are frightening.

Enjoy the lyrics. Enjoy today.

-LMK


Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grow
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.
Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'.
For the loser now
Will be later to win
For the times they are a-changin'.
Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'.
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin'.
Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.
The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'.
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'


2 Comments:

Blogger still_figuring_out said...

you were right.
we do have lots in common.

i too want to get married and "have lots of sex and babies", but i am also completely happy to be as we (my bf n i) are now.

oh life is so complicated...

Blogger Jaded said...

Change can be a wonderful thing, yet most of us fear it.

The whole getting married thing only involves as much stress as you allow it to. I had a very small wedding, immediate family only. I didn't feel it necessary to pay for dinner for every person I'd ever met to tell me they're happy for me. Got married in December, had a big BBQ for friends in June, because hot dogs and hamburgers are much cheaper than a buffet. We had so much fun! Being married isn't always easy, but we both work harder to make things work well than we might if we weren't married. I never wanted to get married and have babies...I wasn't one of those girls who dreamed about it. Now that I have a husband and a child, I can't imagine life without them. I wish I'd started sooner, because having my daughter is the single most important thing I've ever done in my life. (didn't get married till just before I turned 30, had Jadette at 36)

Ok I'm done rambling. Do what you know is right in your heart.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting