Thursday, November 17, 2005
Purple Happens
I taught Pre-school to autistic children today.

I have yet to get the smell of aqua-velva and play-dough out of my hair.

Play dough is fabulous, helps deal with stress.
It adds stress when a three year old decides to grind it into your pants.

One boy had a distinct smell of the good ol' aqua. It seems that he and his dad shave together in the morning, him with his playskool razor (or some such toy) and he gets to participate in the aftershave portion of the routine. Pretty cute when you think about it, but I just had a kid climbing all over me, smelling like my grandfather.

I had another girl who had such speech issues that she resolved her inability to communicate by throwing the largest, heaviest object she could find at my general direction.

Another student mistook me for a jungle gym, doing bridge pose (a yoga thing) with his feet on my knees, arms around my waist, bellybutton in the air.


So its 11, and I look back on today with much more happiness then yesterday.. I also wore very very comfy "Clark's" shoes, I think there is a correlation.

as I get changed into my pj's, I notice that one student mistook me for their art project and attacked me with a bingo dabber..

Purple happens
All over my pink top.

Ah well.
still a good day.


7 Comments:

Blogger Loz said...

this supports my long-held belief that shoes can ruin your life. this doesn't stop me from loving them, and buying shoes i rarely if ever wear due to the pain factor, or the fact that my calf muscles only stretch to certain distances. but yes, painful shoes can wreck EVERYTHING, but comfy shoes makes you more positive.
But if the shoes are TOO comfy then you're complacent. It's all in my Shoe Manifesto

Blogger Megan said...

you have incredible patience and i think you're really amazing to have chosen to do this. stick with the clark's, they make all the difference.

Blogger diadima said...

glad you had a better day this time around, muffin.

Blogger Fella said...

Why would anyone ever buy shoes that weren't comfortable? That doesn't make any god damn sense at all.

Blogger Maddie said...

Years ago I tutored a three-year-old autistic boy. My job was to socialize him through games and imaginary play. It was hard but so damn rewarding.

Blogger jiggs said...

cool.

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

Thank everyone.
The day was amazing, and educational. I came out of it exhausted (only a half day) and there was 5 kids and 3-5 adults in the room at all times.

It was interesting to see what kind of early intervention they can do, and how much of it they AREN'T doing to help these kids.

I would definetly go back.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting