Wednesday, December 28, 2005
Is this what I have to look forward to?
hopefully not for another 20 years!

We threw a surprise party for my brother today.
First his friends kidnapped him and took him for 2 hours of skating at an indoor park that we reserved (for three hundred smackers... eep!) and while he was gone it we decorated the house.
All the kids came over and got to have panini's with a variety of meats and sat around watching brat pack movies.

Now here is the part of being a parent that I think I will have a hard time with. After we made all the food, we decided it would be best if the "adults" left to let this kids party in peace.

Then the sugar kicked in.
they were running all over the first floor generally being nuts.
Every twenty minutes or so I was sent downstairs to refresh my coffee and make sure nothing was broken and now I'm incredibly caffeinated.

We were lucky though, these kids were house trained and very well behaved, they just broke a couple m&m's on the tile. Nothing spilled on the carpet, no mountain of dishes.

Tomorrow something fantastic is happening, my middle brother is going back to Canada.
I had hoped that maybe this time things would have been better, that we would get along.
We didn't, we did what we usually do and brought the worst out in each other.
Its really sad when someone who you have lived with for almost all your life, someone who has the same blood as you is a person that given the option you would have as little contact as possible with.


9 Comments:

Blogger msmachine said...

Last October my roommates daughter turned 12. She had a dance and invited boys. We promised to stay upstairs but I couldn't stand it (being a youth counsellor I am programmed to get in on the action). When I went downstairs to freshen my coffee, I found 12 kids sitting on the dance floor with bottle spinning! AAAAARGH!

Sounds like your brother had a good time.

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

he had a great time, but my mum did come down and noticed that the 10 teenagers in her living room were ALL OVER EACH OTHER!!
not making our anything, just sprawled ontop of oneanother, and after 2 hours of the boys skating, I wouldn't go near them!
EWWW

Blogger Monkey said...

Oooh! Sugar + Bodies Under 20. That is not a good equation. Unless you enjoy testing the theory of bodies in motion. Or bodies sprawled on top of one another...

Miss Knit... my human feels your pain. She lives 10 states away from her parents. When she has to visit them, she dies a little inside. She avoided it for years, but now there is a grandchild to consider and she enjoys seeing her brother... so she suffers through it. But... well... you know.

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

oh we broke out the prosciutto, and it was delicious..

the panini was the highlight but we also had all the usually party junk food and pop.. a rare sight in our house.

Blogger Megan said...

LMK, i don't think i would be able to stay completely away from the par-tay, either. maybe not direct supervision, but frequent "oh i forgot my book" type lookings in would be necessary. i'd try to avoid the coffee, cause i'd end up dancing around with the m&m's too.

as for your brother, when you become an adult, your family relationships change. you're no longer forced to be near one another. A lot of times, as adults, it's ok to say "you know what? we're not good for each other" and not see each other so much. This can still change as you get older and both of you continue to mature. But it's really ok not to like a family member.

Blogger Tumbleweed said...

Yes, that is what you have to look forward to. Aren't you excited? :)
I don't have siblings lucky me, but I know lots of people in the same situation. I have chose several of my close friends to be my family. It works much better that way.

Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

Sometimes I'm sad that I'm an only child. And sometimes I'm not.

I'm sorry about your relationship with your brother. Hopefully the old adage about absence making the heart grow fonder will prove true for you!

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

Suddenly I'm glad I am the youngest sibling.

Blogger Maddie said...

Every time I'm around my sister's ill behaved children I contemplate scheduling an elective hysterectomy.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting