Monday, September 11, 2006
The beauty of Australia.

*Note to The Todd, this post contains some chilling details about my love of a certain singer that you think deserves "shovel justice" please don't see it as a huge failing in character*

One of the great thing about living in Australia is that some of your favourite bands come here and aren't incredibly popular, so when they perform in a small venue you can get there 10 minutes before the concert starts and still be 5 feet from the stage.

A few weeks ago I was having a shitty day and I decided last minute that TFG and I should go to a Mraz concert going on that night. Mraz was his usual funny and entertaining self, but every time he stopped talking the audience would holler out names of songs they wanted him to play. The poor man felt like a bloody jukebox! While I felt bad, I couldn't help it and I yelled out "Please play I'm Yours!!!"

Since this little ditty of his is only available on one of his first EP's, he was understandably surprised and looked at me and said "seriously?!" and I of course jumped up and down like a giddy school girl.
He came back out for the encore and said "I'm gonna play a little hippy song about love"
I screamed.
Embarrassingly so.
As soon as he started singing I turned around and started making out with TFG, as this is a song we normally dance and make out to in our kitchen.
Little did I know that Mraz and his drummer were staring at us and were quite impressed. There was a certain level of whooping and hollering and it made me feel a tad silly, but I didn't care.

As we were leaving the concert I saw that I could sneak up to the van and probably rock it all the way into the backstage area if I could play it cool enough. Since I would never have the ovaries to pull that off I settled for a note on a paper bag put under the rear windshield wiper.

Greatest. Night. Ever.


If you are keen to see/hear the song, through the glory of youtube it is available here (could I recommend that you put it on and minimize? he looks rather constipated while singing)
So what song makes you think of the person you love/d?


4 Comments:

Blogger Jaded said...

True Companion by Marc Cohn. We danced to it in the living room of our first home together on our wedding night. Here are the lyrics:

Baby i've been searching like everybody else
Can't say nothing different about myself
Sometimes i'm an angel
And sometimes i'm cruel
And when it comes to love
I'm just another fool
Yes, i'll climb a mountain
I'm gonna swim the sea
There ain't no act of god girl
Could keep you safe from me
My arms are reaching out
Out across this canyon
I'm asking you to be my true companion
True companion
True companion

So don't you dare and try to walk away
I've got my heart set on our wedding day
I've got this vision of a girl in white
Made my decision that it's you allright
And when i take your hand
I'll watch my heart set sail
I'll take my trembling fingers

And i'll lift up your veil
Then i'll take you home
And with wild abandon
Make love to you just like a true companion
You are my true companion
I got a true companion
True companion

When the years have done irreparable harm
I can see us walking slowly arm in arm
Just like the couple on the corner do
'cause girl i will always be in love with you
And when i look in your eyes
I'll still see that spark
Until the shadows fall
Until the room grows dark
Then when i leave this earth
I'll be with the angels standin'
I'll be out there waiting for my true companion
Just for my true companion
True companion
True companion

Blogger yournamehere said...

Maybe I'll always be alone until I fully embrace the power of crappy music.

Oh well, there's always whores.

Blogger Fella said...

Way to see the bright side, Todd.

Blogger Maddie said...

This post is absolutely sweet. Seeing musicians you love in small venues is the best.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting