Tuesday, January 24, 2006
Hostels..
Things started off poorly this morning…

Hmmm that is a bad way to start a story, lets go back to last night…

We went grocery shopping and bought pasta and tomato sauce from the ::gulp:: dollar store. I thought that an onion and pesto would save the sauce but there was more sugar in there then tomatoes, and it tasted like barbeque sauce.

I got depressed. Too many nights in a hostel, trying to cook while keeping cheap food in the hostel kitchen lest it be stolen (someone drank half our juice!) and having to carry down my shitty little metal cup and plastic plate and peeing down the hall had gotten to me.

TFG decided we needed to go out to the bar downstairs, as it is the only one busy on Monday nights, and it’s cheap. So off we go, down to the bar in hopes of meeting other travelers. We start drinking beer at 7 dollars a “jug” (read liter and a half) and get invited to a huge table of aussies and a nice French girl. We get to talking and drinking… and drinking “snakebites” and talking. And the party grows; more Canadians join us, and a few navy men on shore leave from the Ronald Regan here in town.

As French girl gets drunk, she loses her English and as I get drunk I forget my French, so communication broke down. She tells me that when she is drunk, she likes to dance. “Good times!!” I think, I’ve gone dancing before with girlfriends, and it’s a fun time. TFG had gone for more drinks and when I left to go dancing, and when he came back he asked our new aussie friend where we had gone:

AussieBoy: Oh Knitty and French went dancing. I didn’t know you and Knitty swing..

TFG: Excuse me?

AussieBoy: Well French is a Lesbian..

(a fact I was quickly figuring out)

Good times…

The night ended quietly, with TFG going back to the hostel room alone.

This morning however, things weren’t looking very good. One too many snake bites were biting me back and I didn’t relish the thought of going down to the loud kitchen for instant coffee and white bread with nutella.

Then I saw it.
It was in the bed
With me.
And in my drunk stupor I had fallen asleep without bottoms.

It was a tick.
An evil, sick disease spreading tick. IN MY BED!


We found out that on the first floor they had bed bugs, biting ones.
We decided to ask for new sheets. Thinking that one tick was gross, but he probably didn’t have friends.
We got the new sheets and went to make the bed.
The new sheets were supposed to be clean.
They were supposed to be washed
They must not have been washed well
Because they were covered in other peoples hair.
Other peoples pubic hair.

Hostel living is making me hostel.
We check out on Friday and to a different hostel (a much quieter, cheaper, roomier hostel close to the new digs) and then its off to the new snazzy APARTMENT!!

Also in Knitty News... The transcripts are officially fixed, my exam was lost, into the abyss of the university, and they are going to re-weight my grade, so I come out of these courses with an A- and an A+...

More to come, and pictures from the new apartment next week!


8 Comments:

Blogger Tumbleweed said...

It sounds like you are having fun dispite all the nastiness. I can't wait to hear more!

Blogger nikki said...

It sounds like the nastiness is providing half the fun...

Blogger Ubermilf said...

Yay Miss Knit! Go Miss Knit! Hip Hip Hooray!

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

God I miss traveling.

Remember the backpackers' mantra: "This is going to make a great story someday."

OK that was mantra ...but everyone should use it.

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

I meant that was MY mantra. Shut up Nick.

Blogger Jaded said...

I HATE ticks...the blood sucking vampires. ICK. And we have lots of them in NJ... I actually had to be treated for Lyme's disease at one point, but we caught it early enough that there was no permanent damage.

Yay for the snazzy new place...can't wait to see pics!!

Blogger Monkey said...

If you are nervous about the TICK... go to a walk in clinic and get an antibiotic. For.... lets see... strep? Bronchitis? Some strange "down there" disease? (and my "down there" I mean hoo-hahville.)

Blogger Loz said...

i've never seen a tick. i hope this reflects more poorly on hostel life than on Aussie life. things will be so much better when you can move into your own flat.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting