Friday, April 21, 2006
Go Bears

A conversation with an Aussie at my Uni...

Aussie : Your from America!
Me: Well, Canada actually
Aussie: Oh,so Australia's version of America
Me: Umm.. sure
Aussie: So do you really keep all your doors unlocked like in the movies?
Me: Yea, sometimes
Aussie: Wow... So do you miss all the Mooses and the Mounties??!
Me: Well... they don't exactly go trapsing around downtown Toronto, so no
Ausie: Ah, just like people think kangaroo's go running around the city?
Me:Exactly
Aussie: So have you ever seen a moose?! how about a bear?!
Me: Sure, in a zoo.

I can't tell you how many times an Aussie has asked me about bears , since there are none here.
Now to be fair, before I got here I would have asked equally silly questions about koalas and kangaroos, but its still funny.


9 Comments:

Blogger Loz said...

I saw a Kodiak bear at the zoo once.
I guess every country is subject to dumb questions about what other countries see of it on TV.
I'm gonna find an American now and ask them how come everyone lives in fancy houses like Wisteria Lane.

Blogger Fella said...

What the hell is Wisteria Lane?

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

loz- exactly! I know I had some dumb questions about Australia before I got here. I think the Australian view of Canada is largely shaped by the nature shows on SBS and ABC, and they all show the wilderness so it can be a bit skewed.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

Maybe if Moulson didn't use those bears in their commercials... Or was that LaBatt's?

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

what canadian beer company hasn't used a bear in a beer ad?

Blogger Tits McGee said...

We have bears in my backyard sometimes.

They scare the shit out of me.

Blogger Crystal said...

I get Texas questions like: "does everyone have cows and horses there?" and "does everyone really have a gun in Tx?" Sadly I have to answer yes because the stereotypes are all true. I have a pet cow named Betty and 5 guns. Well, not really, but sometimes I lie.

Blogger Fella said...

I'm not joking. I don't know what a wisteria lane is.

Blogger Fumbling said...

No questions about dog sleds and igloos? I've had Americans ask if we have malls and McDonalds. I want to tell them no, we only get our food by hunting stuff like caribou and sucking syrup from trees.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting